While unmanned aircraft technology is not new, the thought of thousands of drones constantly buzzing around our skies still feels as if it belongs in a futuristic movie. However, such a sight is closer in time than may be expected, and with flying cars among the next steps forward in innovation, it could ultimately be a partial solution to the pilot crisis that is already impacting the commercial aviation sector.
Much of the progress will depend on regulatory authorities developing robust standards, enabling new applications “and the ability of the innovators to understand what technology is available to enable their vision of the future,” according to one industry leader.
This was a topic discussed by CAPA – Centre for Aviation, chairman emeritus, Peter Harbison, Airservices Australia, chief executive officer, Jason Harfield and Clyde & Co, senior consultant RPAS/Aviation, Prof. Ron Bartsch during the CAPA – Centre for Aviation Australia Pacific Aviation & Corporate Travel Summit in Sydney in early Aug-2019.
More Like this
- Video of the week – NDC and fares distribution: empowering agentsAugust 28, 2019
- Video of the week – What is the outlook for Australia and New Zealand aviation for the medium term and what new dynamics will shape?August 14, 2019
- Qantas sees revenue growth opportunities despite capacity slowdown – observations from CEO Alan JoyceAugust 9, 2019
- Video of the week – Australia Pacific Aviation and Corporate Travel Summit: industry perspectivesAugust 21, 2019
- ICAO sees arrival of urban aerial mobility and UAV technology as ‘evolution’ rather than revolution, but UK study highlights need for unified regulationJune 19, 2019
- Video of the week – Understanding aviation and making money: industry perspectivesMay 22, 2019
- Video of the week – Creating new interfaces between large aviation organisations and the growing global travel technology sceneJanuary 30, 2019
- Video of the week – In conversation with… Akbar Al BakerMarch 27, 2019
- Video of the week – Using technology to pre-empt safety issues, minimise on ground time and improve the passenger experienceJune 12, 2019
- Video of the week – The most significant industry change in the past two decades has been the consumerJune 5, 2019
- Video of the week – Expedia’s supplier engagement includes real-time benchmarking dataMay 8, 2019
- Video of the week – Innovation in generating ancillary revenuesJuly 31, 2019