While unmanned aircraft technology is not new, the thought of thousands of drones constantly buzzing around our skies still feels as if it belongs in a futuristic movie. However, such a sight is closer in time than may be expected, and with flying cars among the next steps forward in innovation, it could ultimately be a partial solution to the pilot crisis that is already impacting the commercial aviation sector.
Much of the progress will depend on regulatory authorities developing robust standards, enabling new applications “and the ability of the innovators to understand what technology is available to enable their vision of the future,” according to one industry leader.
This was a topic discussed by CAPA – Centre for Aviation, chairman emeritus, Peter Harbison, Airservices Australia, chief executive officer, Jason Harfield and Clyde & Co, senior consultant RPAS/Aviation, Prof. Ron Bartsch during the CAPA – Centre for Aviation Australia Pacific Aviation & Corporate Travel Summit in Sydney in early Aug-2019.
More Like this
- Video of the week – Unmanned aircraft technology advances: autonomous travel is ‘going to happen sooner than you think’February 12, 2020
- Video of the week – NDC and fares distribution: empowering agentsAugust 28, 2019
- Video of the week – What is the outlook for Australia and New Zealand aviation for the medium term and what new dynamics will shape?August 14, 2019
- Qantas sees revenue growth opportunities despite capacity slowdown – observations from CEO Alan JoyceAugust 9, 2019
- Video of the week – Australia Pacific Aviation and Corporate Travel Summit: industry perspectivesAugust 21, 2019
- ICAO sees arrival of urban aerial mobility and UAV technology as ‘evolution’ rather than revolution, but UK study highlights need for unified regulationJune 19, 2019
- Video of the week – The future of human + technology: who will get the upper hand?December 4, 2019
- Video of the week – Hotel sourcing and building best practices for mutual successDecember 18, 2019
- Video of the Week – How can airlines achieve their sustainability goals?March 4, 2020
- Video of the week – Understanding aviation and making money: industry perspectivesMay 22, 2019
- Video of the week – Low Cost Long Haul Summit: industry perspectivesNovember 13, 2019
- Video of the week – Creating new interfaces between large aviation organisations and the growing global travel technology sceneJanuary 30, 2019