Each week the Blue Swan Daily brings you a snap shot of the key share and oil prices related to all things travel and aviation.
Once again this week, Qantas share price reached a nine year high of AUD6.43/share on 17-Oct-2017. This continued an impressive year-to-date return to 89%.
Qantas took delivery of its first 787-9 (registration VH-ZNA) which arrived in Australia on 20-Oct. Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce said: “This aircraft means we can finally offer a direct link between Australia and Europe, with our Perth to London flight that starts next year. We’re looking at several other exciting route options as well”. The second Qantas 787-9 is on the production line at Boeing’s Seattle factory and will be delivered by early Dec-2017. Two more will be delivered by Mar-2018, to coincide with the start of Perth-London services. All eight will have arrived by the end of 2018. Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce stated it would make an announcement regarding a new US routes with this equipment “either later on this year or early next year”. Mr Joyce said that ahead of the announcement, the carrier has a “bit of negotiation to do with the airports”, adding: “We have a bit of negotiation to do with our partner airlines because we need to codeshare and provide connectivity and we have to source things like lounges. When we bed all that down, then we’ll be able to announce it”.
US Department of Transportation reported (20-Oct-2017) Delta Air Lines and Virgin Australia, along with their respective affiliates, notified the department they plan to codeshare on Delta Air Lines’ Los Angeles-Mexico City route. The codeshare will begin no earlier than 30 days from the date of the announcement.
Air New Zealand:
Air New Zealand reported (16-Oct-2017) traffic highlights for Sep-2017:
- Passengers: 1.6 million, +4.4% year-on-year;
- Short haul: 1.4 million, +5.2%;
- Domestic: 1.0 million, +6.4%;
- Tasman/Pacific: 356,000, +1.9%;
- Long haul: 194,000, -1.0%;
- North America/UK: 118,000, -0.8%;
- Asia/Japan/Singapore: 76,000, -1.4%;
- Passenger load factor: 82.5%, -1.8ppts;
- North America/UK: 86.7%, -1.2ppts;
- Long haul: 83.2%, -3.3ppts;
- Tasman/Pacific: 82.6%, -0.9ppt;
- Short haul: 81.6%, +0.1ppt;
- Domestic: 79.9%, +2.0ppts;
- Asia/Japan/Singapore: 77.7%, -6.5ppts;
- Year-to-date RASK: +0.8%;
- Short haul: +4.6%;
- Long haul: -5.0%.
Monthly Share Price Snapshot:
|Air New Zealand||$2.98||$3.07||$3.14||$3.16||$3.02|
Oil Prices Update: