In our new weekly series to break up those Monday morning office blues, The Blue Swan Daily will be testing your knowledge and insight into the aviation and travel industry. This is all just for fun, but who knows? We may be able to find a prize somewhere around CAPA HQ. This week’s question is detailed below. The answers will be revealed and winners (if there are any correct entries) announced next week alongside our next question.
It has been a difficult start to the year in the United Kingdom (UK) with the clouds of Brexit hanging over the country’s future and its economic development. That deadline has now passed with no agreement, and late last week the country voted in a European election the country hadn’t expected to be involved in and its Prime Minister announced her plans to resign early next month.
These clouds have spread far beyond the borders of the UK as uncertainty has impacted airline travel, the hospitality sector and destinations across Europe and beyond. That is due to the United Kingdom being a major outbound business and tourism market.
Analysing OAG schedule data for the current month, the importance of the UK from a travel perspective is clear to see, especially to its best connected international markets by air such as Spain, USA and Italy. But, did you know there are 13 countries across the world for which the UK is the best connected international market during May-2019. There are a further 16 countries where the UK is the second largest international market by departure seats during the month.
Our QUESTION OF THE WEEK is…
Unlucky for some, the United Kingdom is the largest international market by scheduled seat capacity from 13 countries in May-2019. Can you name them?
JOIN IN THE FUN: Send your answers to: The Blue Swan Daily Content Team
We will be revealing the answers at the same time next week, when we will be setting another question.
More Like this
- QUESTION FOR THE WEEK: There is increasing belief that the ‘flight shaming’ movement could influence a reduction in domestic air travel, but what are the world’s ten largest domestic country markets?September 9, 2019
- QUESTION FOR THE WEEK: Airports in three EU and four non-EU countries in Europe reported double-digit year-on-year passenger growth in 1H2019, but can you name them all?August 12, 2019
- QUESTION FOR WEEK: As confirmed coronavirus cases exceed 10,000 and airlines start cutting schedules, what are the largest international markets from China by seat capacity?February 3, 2020
- QUESTION FOR THE WEEK: We are now more than half way through 2019, but which countries saw the largest rise in departing air seats in 1H 2019?July 8, 2019
- QUESTION FOR THE WEEK: As the British public go to the polls this week, and with Brexit still delivering economic uncertainty, which airports in the country have seen the largest capacity growth during a challenging 2019?December 9, 2019
- QUESTION FOR THE WEEK: Embraer talks about its right-size capacity solution, but where in the world do the E-Jet and E2 families have the greatest share of aircraft movements?February 24, 2020
- QUESTION FOR THE WEEK: The potential for new visa requirements for business travellers and tourist arrivals remains a threat after Brexit, but which European Union countries rely most on UK visitors?February 10, 2020
- QUESTION FOR THE WEEK: What were the ten largest meeting destinations in Europe in 2018?July 29, 2019
- QUESTION FOR THE WEEK: What were the top five nationalities of global passengers travelling on international routes last year?August 5, 2019
- QUESTION FOR THE WEEK: Seasonality is a big issue in the travel sector, but can you name the top ten countries with the largest seasonal shift in capacity between summer and winter flight schedules?June 3, 2019
- QUESTION FOR THE WEEK: LCCs have rarely been out of the news over the past 20 years, but which countries have the largest penetration?August 19, 2019
- QUESTION FOR THE WEEK: As Lufthansa Group’s CEO speaks out on long-haul consolidation, which 12 airlines do you think will make his future dozen airlines prediction?August 26, 2019