Statistics New Zealand has released its monthly international visitor data to New Zealand for the year ending Jun-2017. Surprisingly, against the current trend occurring throughout the remainder of the Asia Pacific region, China spending decreased an alarming 16% or NZD288 million year-on-year.
Despite these results, the demand for Chinese travellers to visit New Zealand is sustaining increased routes and frequencies to Auckland. Chinese visitor numbers to New Zealand were flat in the year ending 30-Jun-2017 at slightly under 400,000 but more than doubled the four prior years. As previously reported by the Blue Swan Daily, seven airlines now offer nonstop services from Auckland to China, including Air China, Air New Zealand, China Eastern, China Southern, Hainan Airlines, Sichuan Airlines and Tianjin Airlines.
See other report: Hong Kong Airlines responds to strong New Zealand-Asia demand by adding second daily seasonal flight
The CAPA-ACTE 2017 New Zealand Aviation & Corporate Travel Summit, scheduled for 17-18 October, at the Grand Mercure Auckland, will include variety of thought provoking discussions and keynote speeches. To find out more or register click here.
More Like this
- Blue Swan Exclusive Infographic: New Zealand International Arrivals – May 2017June 28, 2017
- Record overseas visitor arrivals to New ZealandNovember 27, 2017
- Check in! – hotel highlights across South PacJune 27, 2018
- Air New Zealand and Cathay Pacific extend strategic agreement for a further five year periodAugust 27, 2019
- New Zealand tourism surges, prompting expansion from Air NZAugust 28, 2017
- Philippine Airlines responds to growing demand with new nonstop service to AucklandSeptember 6, 2017
- Air New Zealand expands in Argentina as Australasia-South America capacity reaches record levelsSeptember 22, 2017
- Competition in New Zealand’s international market is intensifying: Thai Airways goes daily with its new 787-9September 20, 2017
- New Zealand-US capacity to reach record highs this summer as tourism boomsSeptember 4, 2017
- TTF outlines options to enhance trans Tasman air travelSeptember 29, 2017
- China drives capacity growth as New Zealand enjoys 56th consecutive month of year-over-year connectivity gains from AsiaMay 16, 2019
- The economic synergies of China and New Zealand: A strong relationshipFebruary 26, 2018