Munich Airport president and CEO Jost Lammers said there is “enormous potential” for “dynamic growth” post-coronavirus, despite “massive” passenger traffic decreases in 2020 (TRBusiness, 30-Mar-2020). Mr Lammers noted intercontinental traffic increased 9% year-on-year in 2019. He concluded: “We want to continue that trend when the current global crisis in aviation is over”.
Meanwhile, Austrian Airlines CEO Alexis von Hoensbroech said it remains to be seen whether post-coronavirus crisis will lead to a ‘V’ shape in demand similar to previous crises such as 11-Sep-2001, SARS or the 2008 GFC (austrianaviation.net, 30-Mar-2020). Commenting on whether the crisis will change travel behaviour, he added: “We’ll see if it’s different this time. The fact is, the world is experiencing the worst pandemic since the Spanish flu over 100 years ago… Crises often accelerate change processes, so I think it is quite possible that we can adapt our behaviour”.
More Like this
- ‘If your model is skewed towards the business side… you’re going to be behind recovery’May 21, 2020
- Lufthansa Group CEO: It took less than 65 days to wipe off 65 years of traffic volumeMay 7, 2020
- EU denounces Europe-US travel ban, ‘taken unilaterally and without consultation’March 13, 2020
- Munich Airport bundles terminal ops in response to coronavirusMarch 23, 2020
- Coronavirus: Aviation and travel are in a period of unprecedented darkness, but when the light returns what kind of industry can we expect to see?April 6, 2020
- Austrian Airlines restructuring to save up to EUR90m p/a, impact up to 800 jobsNovember 8, 2019
- Austrian Airlines to cut 30% of its executive positions as part of restructuring strategyFebruary 13, 2020
- Lufthansa Group: It will take ‘years’ for global demand to reach pre-coronavirus crisis levelsApril 9, 2020
- KLM in ‘serious crisis’ with new US travel ban: CEOMarch 16, 2020
- Finnair expects slow aviation recovery from Jul-2020 as it assesses the impacts of coronavirus on its long term strategyMay 1, 2020
- IAG planning for return to service in Jul-2020 pending easing of lockdowns and travel bansMay 11, 2020
- Brussels Airlines follows Austrian with suspension of all commercial ops until mid Apr-2020March 18, 2020