Christchurch Airport reported (14-Mar-2018) the following highlights from its ‘South’ programme:
- Programme assists businesses become Alipay merchants, enabling them to promote their businesses and transact directly with Chinese consumers travelling in New Zealand;
- Programme ensures Chinese consumers learn about Christchurch and the products and services offered before they depart China;
- 50 Christchurch/Canterbury merchants are among the 178 South Island merchants signed up, including 36 local and 128 wider South Island merchants Alipay;
- 2017/2018 summer partnership between China Southern Airlines and Christchurch Airport resulted in capacity on direct China services increase by 12,000 seats;
- Christchurch remains New Zealand’s fastest growing entry point for Chinese visitors.
ChristchurchNZ GM of destination marketing Rowan Worner commented: “Alipay is used during 120 million trips worldwide by Chinese holiday makers every year, with NZD1.2 billion (USD877 million) being spent using the cashless platform during these trips… Using Alipay we have a real opportunity to reach potential visitors whilst they are looking to determine their holiday destination and then to reconnect with them when they return home via the platform”. [more – original PR]