The Blue Swan Daily brings you the second of this week’s round up of some of the latest accommodation news from across the globe.
- Marriott celebrates its 800th property opening in Asia Pacific as the JW Marriott brand debuts in Japan
- New InterContinental Chongqing Raffles City opens its doors across the top floors of one of the Chinese city’s tallest towers
- Former iconic Byblos Hotel on Spain’s Costa Del Sol to be refashioned as the first Hyatt-branded hotel in Southern Spain
- Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
Marriott celebrates its 800th property opening in Asia Pacific as the JW Marriott brand debuts in Japan
Marriott International has hit a key milestone in the Asia Pacific region with the opening of its 800th property in the region. The 158-room JW Marriott Nara in Japan marks the entry of the JW Marriott brand into Japan, a country that will also see the arrival of the EDITION and Aloft brands before the end of the year. Across the Asia Pacific region throughout 2020, the Moxy brand will also mark its arrival in China with the Moxy Shanghai Xujiahui property. Marriott also recently debuted the AC Hotels by Marriott brand in Asia Pacific with three AC by Marriott hotels in Malaysia earlier this year and the AC Hotels Tokyo Ginza earlier this month. In the last three years, Marriott has seen a particularly strong growth in conversion hotels added to its portfolio, up around a fifth. This year, the company signed Singapore’s first two Autograph Collection hotels – Marriott International’s dynamic collection of independent hotels that champions individuality – both of which will appear in 2021.
New InterContinental Chongqing Raffles City opens its doors across the top floors of one of the Chinese city’s tallest towers
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has confirmed the official opening of InterContinental Chongqing Raffles City, located in Chao Tian Men Square of downtown Chongqing, China as part of the iconic Raffles City complex – a new modern landmark. Located at the confluence of the Yangtze and Jialing Rivers, the high-rise hotel is close to famed local attractions such as Jiefangbei and Hongyadong. The hotel occupies the top floors of one of the tallest towers, as well as part of The Crystal, an iconic skybridge 300 metres in length, connecting the top of four skyscrapers which offers a unique perspective of both the urban skyline in the city and verdant hills beyond. The property comprises 380 luxury rooms and suites from the 44th to 65th floor that offer panoramic views and floor-to-ceiling windows.
Former iconic Byblos Hotel on Spain’s Costa Del Sol to be refashioned as the first Hyatt-branded hotel in Southern Spain
Hyatt Hotels has confirmed an affiliate has entered into a franchise agreement with a wholly owned subsidiary of European private equity fund Intriva Capital European Principal Investment to see the former iconic Byblos Hotel in Mijas redeveloped into a luxury 200-bedroom resort. The property, which has been closed since 2010, will be managed by Marugal Hotel Management and will mark the first Hyatt-branded hotel in Southern Spain. Expected to open in early 2022, guests and World of Hyatt members will be able to enjoy the latest addition to The Unbound Collection by Hyatt portfolio, which will be located in one of Spain’s most visited regions, Andalusia. Originally opening in 1986, the hotel has been known as a hideaway for jet setters and royalty alike – its iconic blue and white building will now be restored as a luxury resort reflecting memories from a golden age of travel.
Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- Performance remained low in key markets in Brazil in Jun-2020 and absolute occupancy and RevPAR levels were the lowest for any June on record. In comparison with Jun-2019, occupancy was down -73.6% to 14.8%, ADR fell -33.3% to BRL199.76 and RevPAR declined -82.4% to BRL29.48. There was a clear variation identified between cities that rely heavily on corporate demand (São Paulo occupancy was 6.7%) and leisure and regional markets where double-digit occupancy levels were recorded.
- While up slightly from May levels, absolute occupancy and RevPAR levels in Poland in Jun-2020 were the lowest for any June on recorded. In comparison with Jun-2019, occupancy was down -78.2% to 17.3%, ADR slipped -14.3% to PLN279.84 and RevPAR declined -81.4% to PLN48.27.
- While hotel occupancy in Qatar in Jun-2020 was slightly lower than May-2020, ADR and RevPAR were up month over month. Notably, the ADR level was the country’s highest for any month this year. In comparison with Jun-2019, occupancy fell -17.8% to 48.1%, ADR rose +0.7% to QAR387.74 and RevPAR declined -17.3% to QAR186.68.
- Hotel performance in South Korea in Jun-2020 delivered metrics were the lowest for any June on record but like other countries were higher than May-2020 levels. In comparison with Jun-2019, occupancy was down -51.8% to 33.6%, ADR fell -20.1% to KRW117,061.03 and RevPAR declined -61.5% to KRW39,351.03.
- The hotel industry in the United States of America (USA) showed slightly higher performance from the month prior in Jun-2020, but at overall low levels. In comparison with Jun-2019, occupancy fell -42.5% to 42.2%, ADR declined -31.5% to USD92.15 and RevPAR was down -60.6% to USD38.88. The absolute occupancy and RevPAR levels were the lowest for any June on record.
- Accor has debuted its new Ibis Budget Sheffield Centre St Marys Gate, the budget brands second property in the UK city. The 126 rooms feature the brand’s Nest design. Further expanding its UK portfolio Accor has added the 109-room Queens Hotel in the south coast city of Bournemouth to its Mercure collection following refurbishment works.
- A new survey by American Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA) of its members shows that the Covid-19 pandemic continues to have a devastating effect on the hotel industry and its employees. It shows that nearly nine in ten hotels have been forced to lay off or furlough employees and now, four months into the crisis, only a third (37%) say they have been able to bring back at least half their full-time employees with a similar number (36%) 36% unable to bring any of their furloughed or laid off workers back to full-time employment.
- Cambria Hotels, an upscale brand franchised by Choice Hotels International, has confirmed the opening of the Cambria Hotel Greenville. The four-storey, 126-room hotel, which is the brand’s fifth property in the Palmetto State, is located just a short drive from the corporate headquarters of Michelin North America and a corporate campus for TD Bank. The property is the third Cambria property developed by Four Raines.
- Specialist mixed-use operator Kerten Hospitality is debuting its Cloud7 aspirational brand in the Middle East with the opening of Cloud7 Residence Ayla Aqaba in the heart of the Ayla Resort. The property will further diversify the tourism offerings in Aqaba, generating additional demand for luxury accommodations with 75 fully serviced apartments across four apartment categories ranging from one to four bedrooms.
- Private real estate advisory and investment firm Integrated Capital has confirmed the completion of a multi-million dollar renovation of the 140-room DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh – Meadow Lands. The hotel is operated by Hospitality Ventures Management Group (HVMG), a private hotel investment, ownership and management company. The refurbishment focused on guestrooms and hallways with all rooms receiving new soft goods, including bedding, bed upgrades from double-double to queen-queen and new televisions.
- A-1 Hospitality Group has announced that it has acquired the management contract for the Homewood Suites by Hilton New Braunfels, a 90-suite property featuring one-bedroom and two-bedroom suites with fully-equipped kitchens and separate living and sleeping areas. This is the third addition into the A-1 Hospitality Group portfolio this year adding to the Courtyard by Marriott in Pasco, Washington and the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in The Dalles, Oregon.
- The Residence Inn Nashville Mt. Juliet has opened as a Marriott franchise, owned and managed by Pinnacle Hospitality Partners. The 124 all-suite property offers a mix of studio and one-bedroom suites around 10 miles from Nashville International Airport and 20 minutes from downtown Nashville. It provides convenient access to the Providence Mall, the Opryland Convention Center, Opry Mills Mall, Nashville Shores and the Grand Ole Opry.
- The new Six Senses Antognolla marks the brand’s second opening in Italy. The castle and estate located north of Perugia, close to the regional border of Tuscany aims to provide a peaceful sanctuary to allow guests to switch off and rewind from the pressures of current life. The estate will feature 71 guest rooms and suites located within the historical castle and traditional old borgo buildings and 79 residences, ranging from apartments and two-bedroom villas to six-bedroom farmhouses.