The Blue Swan Daily brings you the second of this week’s round up of some of the latest accommodation news from across the globe.
- Hotel Villa Magna to become first Rosewood Hotels & Resorts property in Spain
- Hyatt Centric brand expands to Minnesota with opening of Hyatt Centric Downtown Minneapolis
- Wyndham Hotels & Resorts widens it Turkish portfolio with Bodrum and Giresun properties
- Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
Hotel Villa Magna to become first Rosewood Hotels & Resorts property in Spain
Rosewood Hotels & Resorts has been selected by RLH Properties to manage its iconic Hotel Villa Magna property in Madrid. This will be the brand’s first hotel in Spain and fourth operation in Europe, where Rosewood is also expanding into other prime locations. Situated in the heart of Madrid, on the revered Paseo de la Castellana, a grand boulevard lined with renowned and architecturally impressive restaurants, shops and attractions, the property will debut as the Rosewood Villa Magna following a refurbishment. The property is currently closed due to Covid-19 restrictions but will reopen from 01-Sep-2020 and will remain open as an independent hotel until Rosewood assumes management once the refurbishment works have come to an end towards late 2021. The 160-room property will add to Rosewood’s network of distinctive European properties, which currently includes Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco in Tuscany, Rosewood London and Hôtel de Crillon, A Rosewood Hotel in Paris. Additional properties set to open within the next three years include Rosewood Vienna (2022), Rosewood Munich (2023), Rosewood Venice (2023) and Rosewood Hotel, Grosvenor Square, London (TBD).
Hyatt Centric brand expands to Minnesota with opening of Hyatt Centric Downtown Minneapolis
Hyatt Hotels Corporation has confirmed the opening of Hyatt Centric Downtown Minneapolis, a 154-room upscale lifestyle hotel located at the former Minneapolis Athletic Club. The centrally located property in the heart of Minneapolis includes 22 suites and features contemporary design, upscale guestroom and hotel amenities. It also offers more than 6,900 square feet of customisable function space split across its fifth and sixth floors to accommodate events and meetings.
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts widens it Turkish portfolio with Bodrum and Giresun properties
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts has revealed plans to further expand its La Quinta by Wyndham brand with the addition of two new hotels in Turkey: La Quinta by Wyndham Giresun and La Quinta by Wyndham Bodrum. The new hotels join the previously announced 404-room La Quinta by Wyndham Istanbul Gunesli—the first La Quinta hotel to open outside of the Americas—and are the latest in a string of international signings and openings since Wyndham acquired the brand in May of 2018. The 86-room La Quinta by Wyndham Giresun opened last month and is a waterfront hotel with stunning views of the Black Sea and a wide range of amenities for business and leisure guests. The 175-room La Quinta by Wyndham Bodrum is a seaside hotel with stunning views of the Bodrum Peninsula.
Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- Each of the three key hotel performance metrics were up from Apr-2020 in China in May-2020, but ADR remained the lowest for any May on record in the country and occupancy and RevPAR were the lowest since the SARS outbreak in 2003. In comparison with May-2019, occupancy was down -33.7% to 45.2%, ADR was down -24.5% to CNY342.78 and RevPAR fell -50.0% to CNY155.03.
- In Netherlands hotel performance rose slightly from Apr-2020, but the absolute occupancy, ADR and RevPAR levels were the lowest for any May in STR’s country database. In comparison with May-2019, occupancy was down -86.4% to 10.7%, ADR fell -39.3% to EUR82.01 and RevPAR declined -91.7% to EUR8.76.
- In Peru absolute levels in the three key performance metrics in May-2020 were the lowest for any May in STR’s country database. However, the absolute occupancy remains the highest in the region as a result of the Peruvian Government initiative to host quarantine travellers and front line workers in hotels. In comparison with May-2019, occupancy was down -38.9% to 39.9%, ADR was down -48.6% to PEN214.74 and RevPAR declined -68.6% to PEN85.66.
- In United Arab Emirates (UAE) the absolute occupancy, ADR and RevPAR levels recorded by hotels in May-2020 were the lowest for any May in STR’s country database, but positively, occupancy and RevPAR were up from Apr-2020 levels. In comparison with May-2019, occupancy was down -30.7% to 35.6%, ADR fell -35.0% to AED260.40 and RevPAR declined -54.9% to AED92.62.
- The Shore Club Wisconsin, The Inn Hotel and The Penn Stroud have recently joined Choice Hotels International’s Ascend Hotel Collection, a global portfolio of resort, boutique and historic hotels. The Shore Club Wisconsin is located in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin; The Inn Hotel is in Arnolds Park, Iowa; and The Penn Stroud is in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania.
- The Fairfield by Marriott Inn & Suites Whitewater has opened in the US state of Wisconsin. The 71-room property offers convenient access to the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater, Young Auditorium, Old World Wisconsin, Alpine Valley Resort and Kettle Moraine State Forest and will operate as a Marriott franchise, owned by WWHP and managed by Golder Hospitality.
- Hotelbeds has completed an upgrade of the entire telephony infrastructure that supports its Contact Centre. The upgrade began late last year and has involved migrating all existing services onto a new cloud-based Salesforce contact centre solution provided by Vonage (previously New Voice Media).
- The designer Ovolo Hotels collection across Australia and Hong Kong says it is going full OC/DC – Obsessive Commitment to Deep Cleaning to reassure travellers. It brings its ‘F.U.N.’ (Fun. Unconventional. Never Boring) concept and incorporates musical undertones in its commitment to deliver a safe and clean environment for guests. Examples include ‘Don’t Stand So Close To Me’ and ‘Space Oddity’ to highlight its social distancing promise.
- The Quest Apartment Hotels properties of Quest Griffith, located within the Riverina region in south-western New South Wales, Australia and Quest Robina, situated on Australia’s Gold Coast, have implemented the BeyondTV GuestCast solution. The 68-apartment property and 80-apartment hotel now deploy advanced in-room entertainment options with the ability to cast virtually any content of preference.
- As lockdowns are lifted and air travel resumes the Sofitel Athens Airport reopened its doors on 01-Jul-2020. The property is located adjacent to the arrivals terminal at Athens International Airport Eleftherios Venizelos.
- The SpringHill Suites South Bend Notre Dame Area has opened in the US state of Indiana. The 92-suite property is located just five miles from South Bend International Airport and eight minutes from downtown and will operate as a Marriott franchise, owned and managed by JSK Hospitality.
- WinqBid, the hotel booking app with a live auction feature for unsold rooms, has completed technical integration with eRevMax. The interface is the latest addition to the eRevMax Channel Ecosystem that connects hotels to over 400 online distribution channels worldwide.
- The Wyndham Rewards programme has relaxed the requirements for earning Member Levels (status) in 2020, reducing the number of nights members need to stay by 40%. The relaxed requirements build on earlier efforts by Wyndham to help its members amid Covid-19, such as extending the expiration of any previously earned Member Levels through the end of 2021 and pausing points expiration through 30-Sep-2020.