The Blue Swan Daily brings you the second of this week’s round up of some of the latest accommodation news from across the globe.
- Avani Hotels & Resorts will debut in Kenya with Avani Nairobi Suites property
- Emma & Elissa will deliver ‘luxury lifestyle hospitality’ to Playa del Carmen for Dream Hotel Group
- Choice Hotels launches Everhome Suites midscale extended-stay brand
- Canada’s hotels battle a negative performance in key metrics for 2019
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
Avani Hotels & Resorts will debut in Kenya with Avani Nairobi Suites property
Avani Hotels & Resorts will expand its footprint into East Africa with the signing of the first Avani property in Kenya. The Avani Nairobi Suites is currently under development by Fedha Group, one of Kenya’s leading real estate developers and is scheduled to open by the end of 2020. The new-build 15-storey all-suite property will be located in the heart of Westlands, a prime business and leisure district of Nairobi. It will offer 120 keys, comprising of 90 one-bedroom, 20 two-bedroom and 10 three-bedroom serviced apartments. Designed by Beglin Woods Architects, the suites will offer floor-to-ceiling windows and private terraces boasting cityscape views. Sizes will range from 100 square metres for the one-bedroom, up to 200 square metres for the duplex three-bedroom units.
Emma & Elissa will deliver ‘luxury lifestyle hospitality’ to Playa del Carmen for Dream Hotel Group
Dream Hotel Group has announced plans to bring its distinct brand of “luxury lifestyle hospitality” to Playa del Carmen, Mexico with the opening of Emma & Elissa by Dream Hotel Group in 2023. The latest signing with Mexico-based developers Aldea Oceana Holdings, a partnership between Grupo Proactivo and Foro Construcciones, marks the group’s second location in the Yucatan Peninsula and its fifth hotel in Mexico. The new property is a luxury condo-hotel project where owners and hotel guests are invited to enjoy amenities and services side-by-side. It will feature 220 guest rooms and suites and a myriad of amenities, including a rooftop infinity pool deck, bar and lounge boasting unobstructed views of the Caribbean.
Choice Hotels launches Everhome Suites midscale extended-stay brand
Choice Hotels International has announced Everhome Suites, a new-construction midscale extended-stay brand offering that provides customisable, apartment-style accommodation that allows guests to adapt their environment to the way they live and work during longer-term stays. The company celebrated the brand launch by breaking ground in Corona, California on the first hotel expected to display the Everhome Suites brand and announcing multi-unit development agreements for 13 hotels in the Austin, Texas and Los Angeles markets – all of which are also anticipated to adopt the Everhome Suites brand. Purpose-built to help developers build a diversified portfolio and help drive owner returns during all stages of the lodging cycle, Choice Hotels says the Everhome Suites offer provides “a low cost-to-build, flexible prototype and lean operating model”. Choice Hotels says economy and midscale extended-stay hotels have a nearly 20-year history of high guest occupancy rates, even during economic downturns.
Canada’s hotels battle a negative performance in key metrics for 2019
Hoteliers in Canada faced tough conditions in 2019, with hotel demand of +0.1% falling behind an increase in supply of +1.5%, according to benchmarking specialist STR. Occupancy, and revenue per available room (RevpPAR) fell year-on-year in 2019 with occupancy dropping -1.3% to 65.2%, while RevPAR slid -0.2% to CAD107.82. Average daily rates (ADR) grew by +1.2% to CAD165.23. STR noted that performance was against a backdrop of an Oct-2019 report issued by Destination Canada stating that overnight arrivals of international visitors to the country surpassed 1.6 million for the first time ever for that month, bringing year-to-date visitors to a record high of 19.6 million, an increase of +5%. “With occupancy levels declining and economic growth slowing, hoteliers experienced less pricing power compared with 2018,” said STR. British Colombia posted the largest increase in RevPAR in 2019 of 2.6% to CAD138.50, driven by a 2.6% jump in ADR to CAD197.40. Newfoundland and Labrador achieved the highest increased in occupancy of 1.7% to 54.5% but the sharped decline in ADR of 5.5% to CAD132.22 and RevPAR, which fell 4% to CAD72.12. Nova Scotia posted a 0.7% rise in occupancy to 67.9%, but the second largest drop in ADR of 2% to CAD146.50.
- The Ascend Hotel Collection ended the past decade with a record-breaking development year in 2019 during which it executed 96 total contracts and added 76 new properties to its global portfolio. Ascend now has more than 315 hotels open worldwide.
- After a strong 2019, Cambria Hotels has celebrated the opening of its first property in 2020: Cambria Hotel Bloomington Mall of America. The brand also expects to debut new hotels in 2020 in cities such as Detroit; Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Louisville, Kentucky; and Savannah, Georgia. Hotels are also expected to break ground in Cincinnati; Kansas City, Missouri; Santa Clara, California; Spokane, Washington; and Tampa, Florida.
- Cycas Hospitality has signed a management agreement with Zeal Hotels and Sandgate Investors to operate its first property in the south west of England and its second with Accor. The 144-room new-build Ibis Bridgwater, set within the Woodlands Court Business Park, will become the largest internationally-branded hotel in the Somerset town when it opens in Q4 2020.
- Hotel La Suite Kobe Harborland plans to open a lounge and bar at Osaka Itami airport in Jul-2020. The lounge will be equipped to accommodate up to 38 guests.
- The new Longleaf Hotel in the heart of downtown Raleigh has officially opened, its developer LODEN Properties has confirmed. The 56-room hotel brings the 1960s-era motor inn back to life with an authentic North Carolina aesthetic. The accommodation includes 37 standard kings, one king deluxe, 17 standard doubles and one king suite.
- Millennium Hotels & Resorts MEA has confirmed it will take over Al Dana Diamond Makkah and rebrand it as M Hotel Al Dana Makkah. The property will add 611 keys to its inventory of 3,240 keys in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Portom International Hokkaido plans to open a luxury hotel at Sapporo Chitose airport in Feb-2020. The almost 29,000 square metre property is equipped with 171 rooms and is located at Chitose’s international terminal.
- Doha’s Hamad International airport has confirmed the Premier Inn Doha Airport Hotel officially opened on 22-Jan-2020. The 105 bedroom hotel will be managed by Premier Inn and Al Majed Group.
- Guest data management and intelligence specialist Revinate has launched its Guest Data Platform, which has been purpose-built to aggregate, clean and deliver accurate guest profiles for hotels and property groups. By integrating data from multiple sources, the platform provides hoteliers a “holistic view of their guests” to deliver insights aimed at increasing direct bookings, profits and guest satisfaction.
- Marriott International has opened the first Residence Inn in Panama City. Located in the Pacific Center Punta Paitilla, one of the city’s most dynamic neighbourhoods, the Residence Inn Panama City features 144 suites ranging in size from 440 square feet to 840 square feet.
- Whitbread has announced the opening of its ninth hub by Premier Inn hotel in London, but its first property outside the central Zone 1 in the English capital. The Lillie Road, West Brompton property has 89 bedrooms and represents a landmark opening as Whitbread works to expand its network of hub by Premier Inn hotels to other ‘urban village’ locations in London and regional town and cities across the UK.