The Blue Swan Daily brings you the first of this week’s round up of some of the latest accommodation news from across the globe.
- ‘A way of travel’ – Accor outlines debut plans for its new Mondrian brand in Europe
- From EVEN hotel to Voco – IHG switches brand of new Auckland city centre property
- Sabre and Accor collaborate to create first unified technology platform for the global hospitality industry
- Avani Hotels & Resorts opens its first new-build hotel in the Middle East region
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
‘A way of travel’ – Accor outlines debut plans for its new Mondrian brand in Continental Europe
Accor describes its Mondrian brand as “a way of travel” offering guests with “groundbreaking design and progressive programming” that makes it a “must” destination for locals or travellers. The new brand arrives in Continental Europe with two properties in France. First, with the Cannes Grand Hotel on the Croisette with a planned reopening in 2021. The hotel will be comprised of 75 guestrooms distributed on 11 floors, a restaurant and a bar overlooking on a 4,000 square metre private garden, adjustable meeting rooms and a private beach in front of the hotel. Another property will arrive in Bordeaux, built around a 19th century building. It will house 97 guestrooms each ranging between 25 and 50 square metres that are spread over three floors and due to open in the second half of 2021.
From EVEN hotel to Voco – IHG switches brand of new Auckland city centre property
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) says its voco brand will “resonate with the colourful, unstuffy and laid-back Kiwi spirit,” and it has therefore decided to switch its EVEN hotel project into Auckland (first announced in 2017) to instead launch under its voco brand. The Voco Auckland City Centre will incorporate all the elements of the voco life, says IHG, including 200 guest rooms that are designed around its ‘Me Time’ concept with premium beds for a quality sleep experience, superior showers, innovative lighting and user-friendly technology. Beyond guest rooms, the hotel will feature an all-day restaurant and bar, and guest gym. The property opens in mid-2021 and will be dual-branded, sharing its site with an IHG-branded cousin, the 294-room Holiday Inn Express Auckland City Centre. The two hotels will have separate branding and guest entrances, but will share facilities
Sabre and Accor collaborate to create first unified technology platform for the global hospitality industry
Sabre Corporation and Accor announced that they intend to create the first unified central reservation and property management platform for the global hospitality industry. In collaboration with Accor, Sabre intends to develop a new full service property management capability and enrich its existing central reservation and limited service property management systems. These capabilities will combine within a new unified cloud-native, highly-flexible platform that will be built for and available to hoteliers across all property classes and geographic regions. In this context, Accor would be Sabre’s newest enterprise hospitality customer, adopting Sabre’s industry-leading SynXis Central Reservation System and, ultimately, the new global technology platform for all its hospitality brands and geographies.
Avani Hotels & Resorts opens its first new-build hotel in the Middle East region
The Avani Ibn Battuta Dubai, located adjacent to Ibn Battuta Mall and Ibn Battuta Metro Link, close to Dubai Marina and the site for upcoming Dubai Expo 2020, is the new 360-key hotel opened late last year and marking the first new build property for Avani Hotels & Resorts in the Middle East. It is the brand’s second property in Dubai, joining Avani Deira. A third property is also under development in the city to launch later in 2020. The new hotel has three room types across its 18 storeys, with Avani Superior Rooms and Avani Executive Rooms each offering 30 square metres, the latter taking the upper floors of the property with expansive views. The stylish Avani Suites total 46 square metres, with a spacious lounge and dining area and a free standing bath tub in the bathroom. One of the highlights of the new hotel is the impressive resort-style swimming pool which looks out over Ibn Battuta and views beyond. Avani Hotels & Resorts currently operates 31 properties in Asia Pacific, the Middle East, Africa, and Europe, most recently debuting in Cambodia and South Korea.
- Accor is the latest hotelier to outline its sustainability efforts with a commitment to remove all single-use plastic items from its guest experience, at all hotels globally, by 2022. It will remove individual toiletry amenities and plastic cups from guest rooms by the end of this year and all remaining single-use plastic items in guestrooms, meeting areas, restaurants and all leisure activities areas by the end of 2022.
- Privately-owned boutique hotel and villas company Aria Hotels has boosted its property portfolio with the addition of the Finikia Residence, in Santorini’s Finikia district, close to the iconic town of Oia. The renovated accommodation has been turned into a self-contained holiday home and separate studio, which can be rented independently or as a single property accommodating up to six people.
- The opening of the Delta Hotels by Marriott Indianapolis Airport property marks the arrival of the brand’s second location in the Indianapolis marketplace. The 240-room hotel is located at 5860 Fortune Circle West, just seven miles from Indianapolis International airport and eight miles from downtown Indianapolis.
- Hospitality Ventures Management Group (HVMG) has been selected to operate the currently under-construction, 160-suite Embassy Suites by Hilton Halcyon Village Alpharetta on behalf of owners, Atlas Member Group of Alpharetta. The hotel is expected to open the beginning of 2021.
- Hotel Internet Services (HIS), a full-service provider of internet services and solutions for the hospitality industry, has been selected by FOUND Hotels to provide advanced Wi-Fi network functionality for its two recently opened locations in Chicago (60 rooms) and San Francisco (75 rooms).
- InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has introduced its IHG Customer Insights Portal, a first for the hotel industry. The comprehensive global solution for large enterprises will provide a highly customised corporate travel experience to simplify travel management. Currently in the final stages of pilot, it will launch to large corporate customers early this year.
- The Millennium Central Kuwait Downtown (formerly the Millennium Central) in Kuwait City has inaugurated a new Hookah terrace, an outdoor extension to its restaurant and set to become a getaway for friends or family gatherings. The hotel offers 169 guest rooms, spread over 24-floors.