The Blue Swan Daily brings you the second of this week’s round up of some of the latest accommodation news from across the globe.
- US hotel industry hits record-breaking performance levels in 2019, but RevPAR growth slips to post-recession low
- Four Seasons Hotel Madrid is ready for business with confirmed May-2020 opening
- Radisson arrives in the heart of New York’s Times Square
- Landmark deal will see opening of world’s largest Fairfield By Marriott Hotel In Makkah, Saudi Arabia
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
US hotel industry hits record-breaking performance levels in 2019, but RevPAR growth slips to post-recession low
Only in the United States of America (USA) can a record year for the hotel industry, also be recorded as one of its worst. But, that was the case in 2019, according to benchmarking specialist STR. Although ADR (+1.0% to USD131.21) and RevPAR (+0.9% to USD86.76) values were the highest it has ever benchmarked, and new records were set for supply (more than 1.9 billion room nights available) and demand (roughly 1.3 billion room nights sold), both up +2.0%, these results were dampened by the RevPAR growth coming in lower than any year since the current growth cycle commenced in 2010 and well below the long-term historical average of +3.2%. “With supply and demand growing in equilibrium, ADR is the sole driver of RevPAR gains. Unfortunately, with ADR rising below the rate of inflation, revenue growth is not keeping up with rising costs, such as increases in wages. That is a concern for owners and operators alike,” highlights Amanda Hite, STR’s president.
Four Seasons Hotel Madrid is ready for business with confirmed May-2020 opening
After a seven-year reconceptualisation and meticulous restoration of a collection of seven historic buildings, the new Four Seasons Hotel Madrid has confirmed it is now accepting reservations for arrivals beginning 15-May-2020. The property is located within Centro Canalejas, also home to 22 Four Seasons Private Residences and the Galería Canalejas luxury shopping mall. It contains 200 rooms and suites – among them an exceptional triangular Royal Suite with double-height ceilings and numerous historic details. Hotel guests and locals will also find a four-level spa retreat – the largest in the city – capped by a sky-lit indoor pool and sun terrace looking out across Madrid’s rooftops.
Radisson arrives in the heart of New York’s Times Square
Radisson has confirmed the opening of the Radisson Hotel New York Times Square at 525 8th Avenue New York, NY. The newly constructed hotel in the centre of New York City’s most thriving tourist district supports Radisson’s strategy to grow in key gateway cities – it follows the openings of Radisson Hotel New York Midtown-Fifth Avenue and Radisson Hotel New York Wall Street in Sep-2019. Located in Midtown West, the hotel offers 320 guest rooms, with 70 rooms that offer stunning views of the Empire State Building. Each room features free Wi-Fi, room service and a mini fridge, while the property houses onsite fitness and business centres and a 12-person occupancy New York style boardroom. The hotel also has a seasonal rooftop cocktail bar featuring sweeping views of the Empire State Building, the Hudson Yards development including The Edge observation deck and the Hudson River.
Landmark deal will see opening of world’s largest Fairfield By Marriott Hotel In Makkah, Saudi Arabia
Marriott International has signed a landmark agreement with Nahdet Al-Mashaer to open a 2,600-room Fairfield by Marriott property in Makkah. The agreement is expected to deliver the first Fairfield by Marriott property to the Middle East and Africa region, create the largest Fairfield hotel in the world and bring one of the largest hotels to the growing religious destination of Makkah. Construction for the Fairfield by Marriott Makkah Al Naseem has already commenced and the hotel is slated to open in 2023. The Fairfield by Marriott Makkah Al Naseem is set to rise in five towers in the Al Naseem district and in close proximity to the Grand Mosque. Saudi Arabia is currently Marriott International’s second-largest market in the Middle East, with a portfolio that consists of 29 properties and over 8,000 rooms across nine brands and nine cities. The company expects to add 20 properties and more than 6,500 rooms across the Kingdom by 2024.
- Best Western Hotels & Resorts has debuted three new SureStay Collection properties across the US and Canada. The newly renovated Lincoln Hotel, with 112 guest rooms, four of which are suites, has opened its doors in Monterey Park, California, just outside of Los Angeles. Meanwhile, a 104-room hotel has opened in East Brunswick, New Jersey and a 74-room property in Salmon Arm, British Columbia.
- LCC easyJet confirms that its easyJet Holidays concept launched in Nov-2019 with a portfolio of around 700 directly contracted hotels across more than 100 destinations. Initial research shows 85% of customers cite “great value, hotel choice and website ease of use” as the primary driver of booking.
- Hospitality Ventures Management Group, an Atlanta-based, private hotel investment, ownership and management company, has been awarded the management contract for the 127-room Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District on behalf of owner, Key International, a Miami-based real estate investment and development company.
- Kannur International Airport Ltd issued an RFP for the operation of an almost 1,500 square metre airport hotel at the facility serving the district of Kannur, one of the northern districts in the state of Kerala, India. The deadline for the RFP is 12-Feb-2020.
- KASA Hotel Collection plans to become one of the premier luxury boutique hotel developers in the Caribbean and Mexico. After its debut with the KASA Hotel Parota, in the Tulum area in Mexico, it will add a second Mexican property in May-2020 when the KASA Hotel Riviera Maya become part of the small luxury hotel portfolio.
- As the extended stay segment moves more mainstream Radisson Hotel Group has confirmed the signing of Radisson Hotel Apartments Muscat Ghala Heights in the Sultanate of Oman. Due to open in Q4 2022, the 280 services apartment property will bring the group’s Oman portfolio up to eight hotels across five brands – including Radisson Collection, Radisson Blu, Park Inn by Radisson and Radisson.
- Rostov Platov airport has opened a capsule hotel with 22 capsules and one VIP room. The ‘TimeSlip’ facility is on the second floor of the terminal building. It has seven single capsules, four double capsules and a family room with two double beds, while the VIP room includes en-suite facilities.
- Marriott International has concluded a substantial, full-property renovation of the Seattle Airport Marriott, a modern hotel poised in the heart of the booming SeaTac gateway that features enviable views of Mt Rainier. The 462-room property is home to a freshly reconfigured atrium, fully renovated public areas, expanded meetings and events space and all new guestrooms.
- Marriott International’s TownePlace Suites by Marriott El Paso North opened for business on 15-Jan-2020. The 87-suite hotel is located at 4670 Woodrow Bean Transmountain Drive. It will operate as a Marriott franchise, owned by Summit TP EP, LLC and managed by Esperanto Developments of El Paso, Texas.