The Blue Swan Daily brings you the first of this week’s round up of some of the latest accommodation news from across the globe.
- Hyatt continues its Thompson Hotels growth with first hotel in Mexico’s state of Nuevo León
- IHG confirms plans for Hotel Indigo Jakarta Pantai Indah Kapuk
- Aloft Denver North Westminster brings the brand’s forward-looking lens to Denver
- Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
Hyatt continues its Thompson Hotels growth with first hotel in Mexico’s state of Nuevo León
Hyatt Hotels Corporation announced plans for Thompson Monterrey, the first Thompson hotel in Mexico’s state of Nuevo León. The 150-room lifestyle hotel is expected to open in 2022 and will mark the fourth Thompson-branded property in Mexico. Developed by Visa Desarrollos and Grow2, Thompson Monterrey will be located in the San Pedro Garza García, a contemporary financial and commercial area of Monterrey in the state of Nuevo León. Located near headquarters for many national and multinational companies and university campuses, the hotel will be part of Torre IKON, a new-build mixed-use complex with approximately 215,000 square feet (20,000 square meters) of office space. Thompson Monterrey will occupy a portion of the 31-floor tower designed by Duda Paine Architects, which is set to be one of the most iconic high-rise buildings in the San Pedro Garza García.
IHG confirms plans for Hotel Indigo Jakarta Pantai Indah Kapuk
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has confirmed the singing of the Hotel Indigo Jakarta Pantai Indah Kapuk as it launches a strategic partnership with property developer Agung Sedayu Group (ASG) as one of their preferred partners for hotel projects in Indonesia. Partnering IHG in this landmark project to bring the neighbourhood-centric brand to Indonesia’s Special Capital Region of Jakarta in 2022 is ASG subsidiary PT Kapuk Naga Indah. Located within an exclusive development on Golf Island PIK or Kawasan Pantai Maju, the new 200-room hotel sits within a newly remixed neighbourhood, purpose-built for Jakarta’s dynamic work-play-travel lifestyle. Located just 13 kilometres or a 15-minute drive from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, and 20 kilometres or a 40-minute drive from Jakarta city centre, PIK development spans the coastal districts of North Jakarta. The development houses luxury homes, modern offices, internationally renowned education institutions and world-class leisure facilities – including a golf and country club, waterpark, luxury mall and hotels.
Aloft Denver North Westminster brings the brand’s forward-looking lens to Denver
Marriott International has confirmed that its innovation incubator brand, Aloft Hotels, built with the infrastructure to experiment with emerging technologies, has added its latest property to its portfolio. The 120-room Aloft Denver North Westminster opened on 07-Sep-2020 as a Marriott franchise, owned by 14780 Delaware 1 and managed by Renascent Hospitality. The property is located in The Orchard Town Center and offers guest convenient access to downtown Denver, the Denver Premium Outlets, The Summit Thornton, Elitch Gardens and Topgolf. The five-storey hotel is also nearby to Amazon, St Anthony’s North Health Campus, Children’s Hospital, Cabela’s, and numerous shopping, dining and entertainment options. The Aloft Denver North Westminster hosts some of the brand’s signature staples including re:fuel by Aloft, a 24/7 pantry, the re:mix lounge for a signature cocktail and quiet conversation, and the WXYZ bar offering craft cocktails, light bites and live music. Additional hotel amenities include a heated outdoor swimming pool and whirlpool spa, a well-equipped fitness centre, complimentary WiFi and a meeting room.
Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- Hotel performance in Canada for the week commencing 16-Aug-2020 showed another week of improving performance, but with significant year-on-year declines. In comparison with the week commencing 18-Aug-2019, occupancy was down -46.4% to 42.9%; ADR fell -27.3% to CAD130.37 and RevPAR declined -61.0% to CAD55.97. Two provinces reached a 50% occupancy level – Prince Edward Island (56.1%) and British Columbia (53.7%) – while four further exceeded the 40% occupancy level – Ontario (43.3%), New Brunswick (42.9%), Manitoba (40.4%) and Saskatchewan (40.5%). Ottawa (42.3%) was the only major market at or above the 40% mark.
- The occupancy levels in United States of America hotels fell to a three-week low during the week commencing 16-Aug-2020. In comparison with the week commencing 18-Aug-2019, occupancy was down -30.3% to 48.8%, ADR declined -22.7% to USD100.08 and RevPAR fell -46.1% to USD48.81. The prior week, the industry had reached 50% occupancy for the first time since mid-March and the decline represents the first time US room demand declined week-on-week since mid-April. STR says this is reflective of school openings and less vacation travel, which meant the industry sold 492,000 fewer room nights than the previous week, a -2.7% reduction.
- The Grand Plaza Hotel and The Beachcomber properties in the Florida resort city of St Pete Beach – both owned by affiliates of Miami-based Gencom and operated by global hospitality company Benchmark – are set for transformative renovations that will deliver each of the gulf-front properties a fresh look and upgraded experience. Construction will begin this November and is planned to be completed by mid-2021.
- A Hyatt Hotels affiliate has entered into a management agreement with Mani Brothers Real Estate Group, a leading Southern California based full-service commercial property firm that owns and operates one-of-a-kind landmark properties, to rebrand the 75-room Travaasa Hāna into Hāna-Maui Resort, under the Destination Hotels brand. Located in the legendary town of Hāna on the eastern tip of Maui, Hāna-Maui Resort is set above Hāna Bay overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
- Travel technology provider eRevMax has completed integration with one Canary Islands-based travel wholesalers, Veturis Travel to facilitate real-time data transfer between hotels and the bed bank through RateTiger and LiveOS platform and help in expanding its direct contacts with accommodation providers. This integration will allow mutual hotel partners to manage room rates and availability and receive reservations from Veturis Travel site.
- Harbour Village, a boutique resort set on Bonaire’s only private beach, has been recognised by the Bonaire Chamber of Commerce as a Blue Destination, which is awarded to resorts that have shown a strong dedication to sustainability. The 10-tiered criteria process, which includes evaluating resorts on eco-forward methods across a multitude of staff well-being, purchasing, nature and wildlife, energy and climate, and more, is part of an overall push for the entire island to maintain its recognised sustainability efforts.
- InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has signed a management agreement with Evalona Limited for two new build hotels in Bangladesh. The 200-room Holiday Inn Resort Kuakata is due to open in early 2026 and the 150-rooms Crowne Plaza Kuakata will open its doors to guests in Q1 2028, both located on the second largest beach in Bangladesh and a developing MICE destination.
- Adult hospitality group Original Group has broken ground on Temptation Miches Resort, a 382-suite property, and Temptation Grand Miches Resort, a more exclusive and luxurious 114-suite property, in Miches, Dominican Republic. Slated to open Summer 2022, the two new properties will be Original Group’s first resort offering outside of Mexico.
- The Six Senses Kocatas Mansions, overlooking Istanbul’s legendary Bosphorus, has started welcoming guests. Located in the stylish Sariyer district of Istanbul’s European side, the resort offers an urban retreat created in heritage mansions surrounded by laurel trees. The property houses 43 guest rooms and suites, signature restaurants together with lounges, banqueting spaces and function rooms.
- In just a couple of weeks Soneva Fushi, a barefoot luxury resort in the Maldives known for its castaway-style villas spread throughout its lush “one island/one resort” jungle, will unveil the largest one- and two-bedroom overwater villas in the world. These eight new Water Retreats, the first overwater villas to open at the property, are 6,286-square feet and 9,224-square-foot in size have been designed to ensure the utmost privacy for guests, as well as to make the most of the picture-perfect ocean vistas.