The Blue Swan Daily brings you a round up of some of the latest hotel news from across Europe, Middle East and Africa.
IHG adds Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas to its family of brands
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has welcomed Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas to its portfolio of brands, a brand renowned for its focus on wellness and sustainability. It currently has properties in 12 countries and is expected to expand to 60 properties within the next ten years. These will include a restored 14th-century fort in Rajasthan, to villas on a private island in Cambodia, and the brand’s first hotel in North America – a contemporary duo of twisting towers designed by Bjarke Ingles near the High Line in Manhattan’s West Chelsea.
Six Senses is already behind some of the world’s most enticing hotels, resorts and spas, including: a 19th-century wine estate in the Douro Valley (Portugal), island resorts in the Seychelles and Maldives, beach-side retreats in Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and Oman, a city escape in Singapore, and residences in the mountains of Courchevel (France).
Core to every Six Senses hotel and resort is a Six Senses Spa, where guests can relax, reconnect, and completely refresh. “IHG believes in our purpose to merge the two platforms of wellness and sustainability to promote personal health, and the health of the planet,” says Neil Jacobs, CEO, Six Senses. “Joining forces with IHG means we can use a wealth of systems and operational excellence to grow our brand and reach new markets without losing our quirky personality and playful touch.”
Corinthia Hotels announces new luxury hotel in Moscow
Corinthia Hotels Group is to develop the luxury Corinthia Hotel & Residences project in Moscow. Its parent, IHI plc, is acquiring a minority share in a company being formed with a consortium of investors to acquire a landmark property at 10 Tverskaya, Moscow’s principal avenue leading onto the Kremlin and Red Square.
The new property has a listed façade, and houses the famous 19th century Filippov Bakery, but secured development permits allow up to 462,800 square feet of development behind the retained frontage. Alongside the hotel, the consortium has plans to offer branded serviced apartments for sale and high-end retail units.
IHI plc has had a presence in Russia since 2002, when the company acquired and later redeveloped five historic properties on the main boulevard in St Petersburg where the company now owns the Corinthia Hotel St Petersburg, the Nevskij Plaza Retail and Commercial Center as well as other commercial property.
- Opening shortly in the vibrant and historic Regola neighborhood of Rome, the 42-room hotel Chapter Roma is the first location in the newly established Chapter Italia Portfolio developed by Marco Cilia (formerly of Hotel Americano in New York City). The hotel is part of the Design Hotels collection, that aims to act as a catalyst for change for Italian travel by providing something currently unattainable – an accessibility to luxury that is not just saved for five-star hotels. It is due to open in Mar-2019.
- The new Yotel hotel at Istanbul’s new airport is scheduled to open on 31-Mar-2019, according to IGA Havalimani Isletmesi AS, the operator of the new Turkish gateway. The hotel, situated inside the main terminal building, has 451 rooms, 102 of which will have airside access for passengers in transit.
- Radisson Hotel Group has revealed a new commercial strategy for South Africa that aims to drive market share and maximise revenues through the implementation of dynamic commercial strategies across its hotel portfolio in the key cities of Cape Town and Johannesburg. The Group currently operates 11 hotels and 2,200+ rooms across the country and is also one of the fastest growing hotel brands in Africa with 90+ hotels in operation and under development.
- Lithuanian company Apex Alliance is investing EUR90 million in four new hotels in the Romanian market under Marriot International and Hilton World Wide brands. Among the four new hotels, two will be located near the old town – Moxy by Marriott (119 rooms) and Autograph by Marriott (214 rooms) – one will be in close proximity to the capital’s Henri Coanda International Airport – The Hilton Garden Inn (204 rooms) – and the fourth one will be located in the city’s Pipera-Floreasca district – Courtyard by Marriott (259 rooms).
- The Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa in Malta continues its renovation as it celebrates its 50th anniversary with a year-long significant refurbishment of the property. The first unveiling took place last summer, when the hotel opened a stunning Executive Lounge available for use exclusively for guests staying in suites and executive rooms and last November the hotel lobby was updated with a fresh new look. In December, the guest bedrooms were unveiled with a contemporary new look and this year the hotel’s Athenaeum Spa will undergo a major refurbishment, which will be completed in the autumn.