The Blue Swan Daily brings you a round up of the latest key hotel news from across the South Pacific.
- New research study from Fairmont shows affluent travellers want exclusive experiences and view hotels as trusted travel partners;
- SBC Travel’s website to host GTA global bedbank system following agreement;
- IHG opens first voco™ globally on Australia’s Gold Coast.
New research study from Fairmont shows affluent travellers want exclusive experiences and view hotels as trusted travel partners
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts has released key findings from its second Luxury Insights Report. With a focus on Gateway to Home – Hotels as the Heart of their Communities, reveals that affluent travellers perceive hotels and resorts as established authorities and trusted travel guides. The newly commissioned study found that hotels are perceived as pillars in their community, connecting guests, whether from abroad or locally, to the true character of the destination.
Report highlights include:
- Exclusive experiences: travellers prioritize experiences over brands, with two out of three considering it important to have experiences not readily available to everyone (65%).
- Destination insiders: eighty-nine percent of those surveyed said that the best hotels have colleagues that are familiar with the area and can provide the inside scoop on things only the locals know.
- The hotel factor: ninety-three percent of luxury travellers consider the hotel an important part of the vacation experience – so much so that over half (59%) feel that hotel options influence their choice of destination.
- Generation green: eighty-four percent of respondents consider it important that the hotel provides recommendations of experiences that are not detrimental to the local community. Guests recognize over tourism as a growing concern and that changes need to be made if the beauty that attracts them to worldwide destinations is going to last; travellers look to luxury hotels to help drive change that is positive and sustainable.
- No flight required: luxury hotels are not just for the jet-set. For 77%, these remarkable properties provide a memorable option for social and business occasions in their hometown. As pillars in their communities, locals seek these institutions to celebrate momentous occasions and create family traditions.
- Community connection: seasoned travellers understand the impact of tourism within a destination. Four out of five think environmentally sustainable practices and locally sourced kitchen ingredients are important.
SBC Travel’s website to host GTA global bedbank system following agreement
SBC Travel entered a distribution agreement with GTA Travel and Hotelbeds Group. SBC’s website will host GTA’s global bedbank system for hotels within the South Pacific region.
IHG opens first voco™ globally on Australia’s Gold Coast
The Mayor of the Gold Coast, Tom Tate and CEO of Destination Gold Coast, Annaliese Battista were among the dignitaries that officially opened voco Gold Coast last week. The opening of voco Gold Coast represents IHG’s (InterContinental Hotels Group) first hotel globally for its new upscale hotel brand: voco™, just five months after it was launched. With 389 rooms, the property is situated in the heart of Australia’s iconic Surfers Paradise precinct and steps away from Queensland’s famous beaches. The hotel offers all the features that guests can expect from the upscale voco™ brand including two swimming pools, gym facilities, L’Aqua Day Spa, 800sqm of meeting space and expansive views of both the ocean and hinterland. Multiple dining options are also available in the hotel’s three unique restaurants – Waves, Clifford’s Grill & Lounge and Social House – all designed to offer vibrant social experiences for voco™ guests to enjoy.