The Blue Swan Daily brings you a round up of the latest key hotel news from across the South Pacific.
- Webjet MD: Acquisition of JacTravel ‘instrumental in strengthening our… market position’;
- Sydney Airport retail and property highlights 1H2018;
- Westin Hotels & Resorts announces the Appointment of Huang Xuan as new well-being brand advocate of Greater China;
Webjet MD: Acquisition of JacTravel ‘instrumental in strengthening our… market position’
Webjet MD John Guscic reported (23-Aug-2018) WebBeds is the fastest growing B2B accommodation brand in the world, with the acquisition of JacTravel in Aug-2017 making the brand the second largest by bookings. Webjet “continued to build on that position with significant bookings, TTV and EBITDA growth across all regions”, said Mr Guscic. The integration has “gone well” and JacTravel has been “instrumental in strengthening our competitive market position, increasing our size in all regions and significantly expanding our pool of directly contracted hotel inventory”. During FY2018, Webjet continued to increase direct contracts in key markets, particularly Asia and the Americas, and now has direct contracts with more than 21,000 hotels. These higher margin supply sources are now delivering more than 50% of WebBeds sales, up from 30% in FY2017. The network effect “continues to deliver enormous benefits, increasing our relevance to both hotel supply sources as well as travel industry clients”, said Mr Guscic.
Sydney Airport retail and property highlights 1H2018
Sydney Airport reported (22-Aug-2018) the following retail and property highlights for 1H2018:
- 14 new T2 stores, of which 85% are leased, with the first phase due to open in 4Q2018;
- Complete repositioning of T3 retail;
- New 430 room airport hotel, operator to be announced by 4Q2018;
- IBIS hotel to add 79 rooms, expansion to be delivered by 2Q2019;
- Commercial leasing opportunities across all airport land currently being investigated;
- New Plaza Premium lounge in T1 expected to open in 2Q2019;
- Strong response to EoI on sleeping pod and arrival lounge facilities in T1.
Westin Hotels & Resorts announces the Appointment of Huang Xuan as new well-being brand advocate of Greater China
Westin Hotels & Resorts, part of Marriott International, has announced the appointment of Huang Xuan as the new well-being brand advocate for Greater China. As part of his appointment, Huang Xuan will be featured in a new brand campaign video available in-room at all Westin hotels in China. The collaboration aims to further underscore the Westin brand’s approach to wellness and encourage an active lifestyle, helping guests prioritize well-being even on the road. Marriott International Director of Brand and Marketing, Asia Pacific Andy Kong said: “Westin ensures all aspects of the guest experience is designed with well-being in mind – from the iconic Heavenly Bed and Gear Lending program, to partnerships with TRX (Total Resistance Exercise) SUSPENSION TRAININGTM. As one of our well-being advocates in Asia Pacific, Huang Xuan’s mantra to wellness mirrors perfectly the brand values of Westin Hotels & Resorts. Through this collaboration, we hope to inspire our guests to stay active and feel their best.”