Check in! – hotel highlights across South Pac

The Blue Swan Daily brings you a round up of the latest key hotel news from across the South Pacific. This week’s edition features exclusive news all from the CAPA Australia Pacific Aviation & Corporate Travel Summit on 01/02-Aug-2018:

  • Tourism WA cites ‘plentiful supply’ of hotels on West Coast;
  • HRS Global Hotel Solutions to offer target rates for corporate clients in 2018;
  • HRS Global Hotel Solutions: Hotel inventory outside of GDS should be ‘available and bookable‘;
  • 2019 hotel and booking market ‘quite interesting’: 4th Dimension.

Tourism WA cites ‘plentiful supply’ of hotels on West Coast

Tourism WA chairman Nathan Harding stated the association is “very conscious” of “having enough supply to meet demand”. He noted there are “thousands” of new hotel rooms coming online in the state, which has mean that pricing are “coming down” amid “plentiful supply” on the West Coast. Mr Harding noted that this is a “big opportunity” for tourism in the state. Mr Harding noted that 2000 hotel rooms have been added in the past couple of years, with “another 2000” rooms to be added over the next 18 months, mostly at the high end of the market. This counteracts a situation which saw the state run out of hotel rooms during mining boom with “quality also an issue” during this period. He noted this scenario damaged the reputation of Perth “quite considerably”, with the state now recovering from some “burnt relationships” with distribution partners.


HRS Global Hotel Solutions to offer target rates for corporate clients in 2018

HRS Global Hotel Solutions executive director Jon West, speaking at the CAPA Australia Pacific Aviation & Corporate Travel Summit, stated (01-Aug-2018) HRS aims to reduce the duration of the sourcing process for its clients to within one week by the end of 2018 by utilising innovative technology to automate and accelerate aspects of the process. Mr West said HRS also plans to offer “target rates for our corporate customers” in 2018, meaning HRS will propose a rate to hotels based on its own data, rather than engaging in an extended negotiation. He reported HRS recorded a 75% acceptance rate from hotels for the rates it proposed during trial operation of the service in 2017.


HRS Global Hotel Solutions: Hotel inventory outside of GDS should be ‘available and bookable’

HRS Global Hotel Solutions executive director Jon West, speaking at the CAPA Australia Pacific Aviation & Corporate Travel Summit, stated (01-Aug-2018) HRS is aware that no single hotel supplier “has the answer to every question” and the ability to provide all the hotel room availability a client needs. Mr West noted clients “don’t have to just source into hotels that are available on the GDS”, particularly since the GDS may cover 25% of available hotel inventory. He added that clients are interested in the remaining 75% of hotel inventory and suppliers need to make that content “available and bookable” to clients. Mr West said HRS believes that “no one should be charged a premium for booking outside of the GDS”.


2019 hotel and booking market ‘quite interesting’: 4th Dimension

4th Dimension Business Consulting manager accommodation sourcing team Dean Easton, speaking at the CAPA Australia Pacific Aviation & Corporate Travel Summit, stated (01-Aug-2018) the corporate sector accounts for 11% of the accommodation market in Australia and New Zealand. Mr Easton said Sydney, Auckland and Melbourne remain the most “buoyant” markets. He also noted a lot of new inventory in Brisbane and Perth with more to come. Mr Easton said the hotel booking market for 2019 is “quite interesting” and encouraged early booking.