The tragic accident in Ethiopia on 10-Mar-2019 again involved one of Boeing’s new MAX 8s, the same aircraft involved in Lion Air’s accident in 2018. We will never speculate on the cause of aircraft accidents.
But the fact that two new aircraft of this type have crashed in the first two years of its operation means there will automatically be careful attention paid by regulatory authorities to issues around the aircraft’s technology. If nothing else this will be needed, to provide a factual basis to assuage customer concerns swirling around the media.
According to the CAPA Fleet Database there are 378 737MAX 8s in operation. The greatest concentration is in North America, where there are 112 in operation.
The various Chinese airlines together have 96 MAX 8s in operation, with another 63 dispersed among various airlines in the Asia Pacific region. According to news outlet Caijing, China’s CAAC has reportedly asked Chinese airlines to ground their MAX 8s temporarily.
In 2019, there is an additional 611 MAX 8s slated for delivery around the world.
More Like this
- What’s in a name? Boeing says it has no plans to rename the MAX, but it appears IAG and Ryanair have different thoughtsJuly 22, 2019
- MAX grounding could end up costing Boeing more than USD55 million a day as regulators and federal agencies probe 737 accident circumstancesMarch 20, 2019
- Air travel hit new heights in 2018, but regional growth variation is becoming widerJanuary 10, 2019
- Boom Supersonic update – Ctrip to help bring the technology to ChinaApril 30, 2018
- ICAO 2018 review – record profits, LCC market share increasing, air transport carrying over one third of world trade, but a bad year for accidentsJanuary 4, 2019
- Are the Southwest Pacific Islands the next region on the radar for a thriving Chinese tourism industry?October 11, 2018
- New generation aircraft could reshape route economics; Asia Pacific airlines have much to gainNovember 2, 2018
- AirAsia’s China network reaches 20 destinations, cementing its position as leading low-cost brandOctober 18, 2018
- The Blue Swan Start-up ReportOctober 10, 2017
- Spotlight on China: Didi Chuxing entrenches its powerful market position and partners with 12 automakersFebruary 12, 2018
- China Southern, SpiceJet, VietJet and Vistara have been recognised among Asia’s top airlines and leaders at CAPA’s 16th annual Asia Pacific Aviation Awards for ExcellenceNovember 15, 2019
- Bleisure Webinar: Organisations need to adopt a ‘Culture of Care’March 28, 2018