The death warrant for global alliances is routinely issued. It takes only a squabble between members or one airline’s partnership with a member outside the alliance to see the entire value of global alliances come into question, with a prediction of collapse, disbandment and obliteration. Yet in reality, reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated; global alliances have been busy creating a new life.
In 2017, the oldest of the alliances, Star, turned 20 years old. The intervening two decades have seen profound re-direction in aviation, yet global alliances, despite their many changes, have not followed in pace. Global alliances are seeking greater relevancy to the member airlines they serve.
Below we take an in depth look at the major global alliances and the market share they represent.
Keep an eye out in 2018 for our series of infographics related to these global alliances.
More Like this
- Global Alliance Review: Value Alliance & U-Fly AllianceFebruary 2, 2018
- Reports on the demise of airline alliances are being greatly exaggeratedJune 10, 2017
- The global alliances join together with one voice in call on governments and stakeholders for extraordinary support for their member airlinesMarch 18, 2020
- There’s a digital outlook as Star Alliance brings a new smile to its connecting partner model, Oneworld closes in on new connect members, but SkyTeam keeps a focus on technologyJune 3, 2019
- Value Alliance launches cross-booking portal with some limitationsMay 23, 2018
- oneworld pursues expansion by launching new tier of membershipJune 18, 2018
- Star Alliance is partnering with Skyscanner to deliver multi-carrier itinerariesFebruary 20, 2019
- Oneworld’s expected Qatar Airways divorce will be eased by potential China Southern marriageNovember 20, 2018
- Tigerair Australia to benefit from Value Alliance website relaunch and Cebu Pacific Melbourne launchApril 24, 2018
- Star Alliance hopes to introduce first biometric solution at one of its airport hubs by first quarter of 2020July 30, 2019
- Lufthansa and United debut new digital services platform that will further align the Star Alliance membershipFebruary 13, 2018
- Fiji Airways’ arrival in new oneworld alliance platform is a clear sign of the global grouping aiming to ‘evolve to remain relevant’June 4, 2018