The death warrant for global alliances is routinely issued. It takes only a squabble between members or one airline’s partnership with a member outside the alliance to see the entire value of global alliances come into question, with a prediction of collapse, disbandment and obliteration. Yet in reality, reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated; global alliances have been busy creating a new life.
In 2017, the oldest of the alliances, Star, turned 20 years old. The intervening two decades have seen profound re-direction in aviation, yet global alliances, despite their many changes, have not followed in pace. Global alliances are seeking greater relevancy to the member airlines they serve.
Below we take an in depth look at the major global alliances and the market share they represent.
Keep an eye out in 2018 for our series of infographics related to these global alliances.
More Like this
- Reports on the demise of airline alliances are being greatly exaggeratedJune 10, 2017
- Global Alliance Review: Value Alliance & U-Fly AllianceFebruary 2, 2018
- Value Alliance launches cross-booking portal with some limitationsMay 23, 2018
- Global Alliance Review: oneworldJanuary 12, 2018
- Lufthansa and United debut new digital services platform that will further align the Star Alliance membershipFebruary 13, 2018
- Tigerair Australia to benefit from Value Alliance website relaunch and Cebu Pacific Melbourne launchApril 24, 2018
- Additional security checkpoint set to enhance Star Alliance’s Heathrow T2 experienceNovember 27, 2017
- CAPA partners with STR to deliver the 2018 Global Aviation & Accommodation OutlookNovember 30, 2017
- ‘Airlines are stupid’; bleisure has ‘always been a topic’; and aircraft become ‘very good investment assets’- initial insights from CAPA’s Global LCC SummitMarch 5, 2018
- Attention Travel Managers: Airline negotiations made easier with CAPA Route Capacity AnalyserFebruary 7, 2018
- CAPA’s Top 5 Airline Profiles for 2017January 2, 2018
- Is virtual reality the future of inflight entertainment?January 22, 2018