The death warrant for global alliances is routinely issued. It takes only a squabble between members or one airline’s partnership with a member outside the alliance to see the entire value of global alliances come into question, with a prediction of collapse, disbandment and obliteration. Yet in reality, reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated; global alliances have been busy creating a new life.
In 2017, the oldest of the alliances, Star, turned 20 years old. The intervening two decades have seen profound re-direction in aviation, yet global alliances, despite their many changes, have not followed in pace. Global alliances are seeking greater relevancy to the member airlines they serve.
Below we take an in depth look at the major global alliances and the market share they represent.
Keep an eye out in 2018 for our series of infographics related to these global alliances.
More Like this
- Reports on the demise of airline alliances are being greatly exaggeratedJune 10, 2017
- Global Alliance Review: Value Alliance & U-Fly AllianceFebruary 2, 2018
- Value Alliance launches cross-booking portal with some limitationsMay 23, 2018
- oneworld pursues expansion by launching new tier of membershipJune 18, 2018
- Lufthansa and United debut new digital services platform that will further align the Star Alliance membershipFebruary 13, 2018
- Tigerair Australia to benefit from Value Alliance website relaunch and Cebu Pacific Melbourne launchApril 24, 2018
- Fiji Airways’ arrival in new oneworld alliance platform is a clear sign of the global grouping aiming to ‘evolve to remain relevant’June 4, 2018
- Global Alliance Review: oneworldJanuary 12, 2018
- Additional security checkpoint set to enhance Star Alliance’s Heathrow T2 experienceNovember 27, 2017
- Exclusive Interviews: CAPA TV at the 2018 IATA AGM in SydneyJune 6, 2018
- CAPA partners with STR to deliver the 2018 Global Aviation & Accommodation OutlookNovember 30, 2017
- BCD Travel examines the implications of technology on sourcing in the corporate travel industry with release of first ‘Inform’ series paperAugust 22, 2018