Amadeus has taken the liberty of commissioning a new study designed to better understand Travel & Expense (T&E) programmes for corporates. The result? An opportunity to quantify the value of business travel and then decide what investments to make in it.
In the new study, Managing Every Mile, Amadeus commissioned The London School of Economic and Political Science (LSE) to explore what corporations may wish to address in order to better understand Travel & Expense programmes and perhaps unlock a greater return on investment. C-level executives from major international corporations provided their insights for the study.
The study reveals that using best-practice processes enabled by technology, in a well- executed T&E programme can help organisations save money, increase employee satisfaction, and provide better duty of care.
The key recommendations from Managing Every Mile include:
- T&E programmes must align with strategic priorities across the business;
- Expense should not be the only means of managing travel;
- Technology has a vital role to play in enabling best practices for T&E management;
While Amadeus is clear that there is no one-size-fits-all solution, the study reveals many opportunities to enhance ROI. This can be achieved through greater use of technology such as mobile expense capture, by looking at what travellers want before and during the trip, how the booking process needs to work, the effect this all has on productivity and duty of care. With these elements, corporations can fully take control of travel management and create better journeys for their travellers.
Insights provided by C-level executives revealed a range of interesting facts including:
- 80% lack full spend visibility;
- 95% allow spend outside the T&E programme;
- 20% of travel is booked outside of the T&E programme;
- 90% have automated expense;
- 80% lack required information for strategic T&E decision making; and
- Many more.